Friday, February 4, 2011

The Post To Be Named Later......

A few posts ago, I wrote about some of my first footsteps into the world of the theatre; memories brought on by my recent return, albeit temporary, to the stage.

I did mention a girl named Cathy, whom I had a HUGE crush on.

Surprisingly, Cathy actually READ the post. And commented, privately, to me. It was a very nice comment, and we have been in touch for some time on the Gweat and Powewful FACEBOOK, and we've traded stories of how we got to this point.

I told you that it was another post, completely, and with apologies to Cathy (who's actual memories may vary), this is THAT post.

Let's get one thing straight. I was a lousy high school student.

Some things I excelled at, of course; I was fond of the theatre, I enjoyed playing an instrument in a couple of bands, and there was a creative writing class that was long on writing and short on creativity.....but there were some things I was terrible at....

The sciences and mathematics were just two of them....

It was a science course that put Cathy and I in the same vicinity, all those years ago. She was small, and cute, and she had this look in her eye that suggested that she knew far more than she let on. We wound up sitting near each other during the second semester of the class, and I think she did her best to keep me, well, if not ON track, at least in the stadium....and since it was a subject to which I had no real desire...well, it didn't take.

But she introduced me, in no small way, to some of the major influences that make me who I am.

Yup. Cathy's to blame. I can give you her address if you feel the need to castigate her in private.

Music, for one. Her family, I learned as I went, were very musically inclined, and she would tell stories of the music that sprung forth from her household. I imagined what such a household would be like; my imagination was filled with guitars and dulcimers, clanky pianos and firelight. The music was always accompanied by the sounds of a summer night....

The Marx Brothers. Truly, she did not so much introduce me to that lovely lunacy, but made it more clear. I'll admit that the first song I ever sang to a girl was, 'Hooray For Captain Spaulding.' She gave me that look; the one I described earlier....the one that suggests more knowledge than transmitted.

In fact, she was kind enough not to critique the voice, or call me an idiot.

Yeah. I had a crush on her. But at that time, at that place, there was no way on this side of Heaven that I was ever going to speak the words.

Cathy married her high school sweetheart; yeah, she had one that wasn't me. I have recollections of him, mostly in connection with Cathy's older brother Joe, whom I also knew and who ALSO influenced me. The things I most remember about the fellow is his smile was genuine, filled with light and life. I remember an intellect, as well; the kind of fellow you'd enjoy a wide conversation with. And, I also remember that he adored Cathy.

The last true recollection I have is seeing them together at some function; it may have been his graduation, it may have been ours....I'm not sure, but he had his arm around her, lightly, and he was smiling that smile. And Cathy had a look like that spot, right there, surrounded by his arm, was the safest place she would ever know.

They are still married.

And she is still kind.

And I still know all the words to 'Hooray For Captain Spaulding', just in case it should be needed again.

PS: I will not be writing a post about how Cathy's older brother Joe influenced me: if you really want to know, I encourage you to pick up any one of his albums; my personal favorites are Talk of Heaven, Short Man's Room, and Trampoline.

PPS: Hi, Joe. Just in case YOU'RE reading, as well.

1 comment:

ChromePlatedGirl said...

You friend Joe is married to Madonna's sister. That's crazy!