Monday, February 7, 2011

It's not a rant.

In fact, it's a justification.

I caught the highlights of the Super Bowl; having done a show, been to work, and done another show, I needed sleep more than I needed some good old fashioned American Stimuli. But I knew that there would be endless re-caps (I mean, seriously...the damned pregame show started last MONDAY), and I could even wade through the commercials on YouTube, as well.

Nothing will top that Dorito's commercial from two years ago, with the guy and the Snowglobe who pretended it was a Magic 8-Ball, and it wound up not only through the glass of a snack machine, but also into the crotch of the boss.....I laughed long and hard at that one....

But I digress.

I think it was a good game; I didn't bet on it, but I was going to bet on the National Anthem; I was going to bet that the last note would be longer than 6 seconds, that the song would drag out forever, and that, quite possibly, the once and former Pop Princess would muff the words. I mean, after all, they are more than one syllable and there's no sampling going on to cover your lapses.

I coulda made a mint.

But, here's the thing:

I don't care for Miss Christina; I find her voice overblown, and her need for arpeggio horribly compulsive. But in her heyday there were all sorts of singers doing all sorts of hooks; and her hook was to take a three minute song and turn it into a six minute song, without actually adding verses.

And I honestly don't think that the National Anthem should be interpreted. At all. It's to be sung as written. Did you know that there is one country in the Pacific that actually FINES you for singing the National Anthem off-key, or in a manner considered parody-ish? So....sing the song, and leave your ego at the door.

BUT.

The National Anthem is a difficult song; it's written in the key of Francis Scott, and the words are archaic. And I am of the opinion that it really doesn't say anything about OUR COUNTRY.

I think GOD BLESS AMERICA is a good song, that describes our country. It's quite like O, CANADA. "My Home and Native Land" indeed.

But that GOD thing is tricky. AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL would work as a lovely substitute.

And the best part is, they're SHORT songs. And easily sung, with great gusto, by a crowd of Barley Fueled fans at any event you could name.

So...Christina....on behalf of the country, let me thank you for pointing out the flaws in the Anthem, and for encouraging all of us to start thinking about an easier, quicker, and more descriptive National Anthem.

And Crown Thy Good, With Brotherhood...From Sea To Shining Sea. And up there, just West of Canada...and over there, in the middle of one of those Shining Seas....and Puerto Rico, our silent brother.

1 comment:

Kizz said...

Fucking up the national anthem? Bad. Also reprehensible if you're supposedly a professional at singing songs.

Changing the national anthem to either of those other songs you mention? WORSE. Good Christ I hate those fucking songs. It's like a 3rd grade music appreciation class and someone is picking out the harmony on a hand me down xylaphone with two of the metal bars missing. Bleargh.

Just one woman's opinion.