Friday, February 11, 2011

My White Plume.

Yes. I guess I DO have a role I'd kill to play. And it would probably wind up killing me, as well, but oh, what a way to go.

I can recall a student of mine, telling me a story of an old character actor he worked with in some theatre in Ohio, back in the 90's. This old actor, playing a role in You Can't Take It With You, who felt that he could die a happy man if he just put together one...perfect performance.

Apparently, he had a good night during the last part of the run. The producer commented on the fact that that night's performance was, "just about as close to perfect as you can get." And the old actor agreed, with a smile and a nod of his head.

And that evening, he retired to his home, and passed away peacefully in his sleep.

An actor's death, certainly. The role that could kill us is the one we most want to play.

Cyrano.

Oh, GOD, I'd love to give it a try.

He and I are tied together, for some reason. During my days as itinerant actor, I would read the play the night before a major audition. Just me and that blusterous, confident, heroic, romantic fool. Sacrificing all of his dreams for the dreams of one he loves more than life.

Weaving tender words of love for another from the bushes beneath her balcony; because she wished for him, and he wished for her.

Fighting 100 men because "this man is a friend of mine!"

And appearing every day after, serving as a 'gazette' to his love, now 'shrined in a convent, just to be near her.

I'm tearing up just writing about it.

Could I ever be this man?

2 comments:

Steve Gans said...

I can see it. You'd be great.

Misti Ridiculous said...

You can be whatever you want to be. you would be BRILLIANT!