Thursday, February 17, 2011

Arrrrrgh. And not in a Pirate Way.

Back in 1993, when I was a good teacher and a part time actor, and I was in love with a very tall German girl, I spent a summer in the south of Indiana, doing a couple of musicals; one, an historical musical about the early life of Lincoln, and the other a musical version of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn.

I enjoyed both of them, very much; even in the heat and humidity that IS Southern Indiana in the summer, every night was a ball.

And, as an added bonus, there was the aforementioned tall German girl.

But this is not about any of that.

In July of that year, I had a small, seemingly innocuous accident upon the stage; I had this wireless microphone pack that usually lived under my shirt, and in a small pocket underneath my left arm. But one night, the thing slipped, and wound up in my lower back. And, during a exercise in stage combat at the top of Act II, I rolled over it.

Didn't give it a thought. Until three days later, when I begin to get his annoying kind of buzzing in my toes. And three days after that, I stopped feeling them at all.

To make a long story short, I lost the feeling in my legs. I could still use them, I just couldn't feel them.

I'm feeling muuuuch better now.

At least, I was until two days ago.

It's back.

It's incredibly painful right now; I can't seem to walk for any length of time. I'm heating and cooling and all of the things I need to do to relax the muscles in my lower back, in the hope that I won't need additional therapy.

I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and in case anybody wonders, yes, it does SUCK. Bunnies. Through a straw. Ears first.

1 comment:

Misti Ridiculous said...

well. I would have headed RIGHT to the chiropractor. But that may be way too goonie goo goo for your Northern Sensibilities.

something is amiss dear boy. and self diagnosing is NOT an option.

seek further help from someone who did more than get a certificate from Sally Struthers.

please.