Monday, January 5, 2009

Turn it up just loud enough so I can hear the past.

It takes an awfully long time to upload all my music into my little ipod.

And it's amazing how much music it will hold. At last look, I could start my ipod today, and it would not run out of music until sometime Sunday morning.

I should try it; but it might drive the people around me insane. My roommates and I did that in college.....we put on a single 45, something called "Irv's Theme", and played it for days, day and night. My then girlfriend attacked it with a T Square and threw it out into the snow, where it stayed until spring. And when the thaw came, and we found the record, it still played.

The record lasted longer than the girlfriend.

The music that you collect defines you, I think. I don't know about you, but the music in my collection can be viewed like the rings of a tree; you can see where I've been by the stuff in my collection.

A lot of folk.
A lot of what is considered "Classic Rock."
Some soundtracks, mostly things I've done or seen.
Comedy albums from my youth.
Albums I must have bought when in love, for they remind me of people.

It's amazing how music can take you back in time. How a song can place you right where you were when you first heard it; dancing with a readheaded girl in somebody's basement, driving through a pouring rainstorm between jobs, at three am with a project due when you were a less-responsible student...things like that.

Every song I own is now pocket size.

Every memory I have can now be carried along, as if I didn't do that already.

Is it a blessing, or a curse, I wonder?

No comments: