Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ship to Shore.

Every time I think I have something interesting to write....

It's been an interesting trip so far. I've looked into faces I haven't seen in awhile, and have been surprised by the way they have affected me. Surprise, it seems, is like a raspberry seed between your teeth; the original fruit was most delightful, but the remnants of it are somewhat distracting.

Then again, sometimes the delightful things are distracting, and the distracting things are delightful.

Somebody should write this stuff down.

Oh, wait. Never mind.

It should come with no astonishment that, aside from my jovial sojourns into levity, I have been.....unhappy....for quite some time. But that unhappiness comes from within, and not without. It's my creation; my monster; my untreasured burden, and it's only me that can get out of it.

I've been using this trip to set things in order, I think. To resolve some long outstanding issues. With friends, and with family. So far, the feelings of peace have escaped me, but I think I've given some peace to other people, and while that was not my original intention, so be it.

Then again, for all I know, I could have stirred the pot and headed for the state line. I hope that's not the case.

Things I have discovered thus far:

1. I apologize too much for loving the people in my life, as if that love is some kind of crime. Screw that.

2. There is nothing quite so satisfying as making my brother laugh.

3. The best way to stand the pain of the back spasm is to stand very still and pretend you're someplace else.

4. When a man goes in search of his boyhood home, it's not the home he's looking for, it's the boyhood.

5. I miss my mother more than any words can express, ever.

I have been taking pictures, but have been thwarted at every path trying to get photos of the various schools I've attended. I'll be posting them around eventually, but I'm not as quick or as savvy as some of my friends, so it may take time.

And the time is mine to take.

1 comment:

Gertrude said...

Thanks for sending up a flag and letting us know you are okay. I hope you find your happy thought.