Thursday, February 26, 2009

And the glow of the remembrance keeps me warm.

I'm pretty tired. Of everything.

I've been playing injured the last couple of days; not physically broken, but working with the ick for the last couple of shifts can be draining. Too draining to try to do it for another day.....I'm just waiting for the storm to pass before I make the call.

I find technology increasingly amazing. Right now, I'm listening to WFUV out of New York, where my old friend Claudia is on-air personality. She always had good taste in music, even when we were in Jr. High together. Claudia is not an old friend, for she never seems to age. Nobody around me does, and it's a thing that disturbs me greatly, but also gives me profound joy.

It's snowing, blowing, and cold this morning in the city by the river not far from the Canadian border. Winter has not released us quite yet, but that's okay. We don't have a recession. The snow keeps the riff raff out. I saw that on a tee shirt the other day.

I miss teaching. I miss the classroom environment, everything from the interesting and weather inappropriate clothing the students would wear, to the smell of the chalk on the blackboard. I loved it when a lecture hit home; and I even loved when it didn't, so I could track back and find where it went off the tracks. I especially enjoyed the moment of surprise when a student put several strings together, and came up with a premise I had not considered; usually impossible, or at the very least improbable, but the very act of putting together the strings was a victory incomparable.

I loved directing college shows. Watching a show become more than what I made of it. Listening to their banter; arguing with my notes; a kind of camaraderie you really don't find very often in the professional world.

I miss "Pie Day." It was a day, usually in the first week of February, where all the faculty would gather in a large conference room and eat pie. All kinds of pie; store bought, home made, creams, fruits, meranges, you name it. Baked goods galore. And we would eat and talk and discuss and argue and if you've never been in a four sided conversation about the effect of Churchill's speeches on the English morale during WWII, then you really haven't been in a conversation at all.

I miss the intellectual discussions about topics that have nothing to do with anything other than the topic. And I miss just.....listening....to brilliant men and women who are so willing to share the wealth of knowledge.

Pie Day made me smarter.

The one other thing I miss today is that lack of territorialism that comes when creative, intelligent people get together for the idea of improving the world, one person at a time.

I'm going back to bed.

No comments: