Sunday, March 1, 2009

Gentlemen, be seated.

Not long ago, a former co-worker turned beloved friend asked me a series of questions, for her own edification and enjoyment. It was only fair, because I ask her questions all the time. And one of those questions was this:

Have you ever been to a strip club?

Now, that's a good question to get right to the heart of the matter as to the objectification of women, isn't it?

My answer was, of course, no. There were actually plans a few days before my wedding to go out to a place called The Spearmint Rhino, but they didn't pan out.

At this point, I tried out a few jokes about The Wintergreen Giraffe, and the Peppermint Wombat, but they just didn't work. Moving on....

My beloved friend mentioned that she had never been a strip club either, although she had seen strippers in her life, and then she went into great detail. Basically, I skipped over this part.

She then went on to talk about the term "Gentleman's Club." And how the term didn't apply to most of the people that walked into places like the Peppermint Wombat. And she asked my opinion.

Okay, she didn't ASK my opinion, but it did get me thinking.

What, exactly, is a Gentleman in the 21st century?

Well, I think it's somebody that knows a little about etiquette, and how and when to use it; yes, we've gone past finger bowls and in most cases even salad forks, but a gentleman should know to put the napkin on your lap.

It's really not important in this age to be able to make a simple toast, but I think it's important not to chug and belch in polite company.

There are simple things, such as pulling out chairs, helping with coats, opening doors, etc., but these have gone the way of the dodo as well, largely because of the shift in gender assignments. We've come a long way since A DOLL'S HOUSE.

But it's more than that. The idea of the gentleman was created by a society that forced the genders to arm's length, whereas in today's society, we're nose to nose. The invisible line that separated men from women has slowly dissolved, and even though inequality still exists on several levels, and there still manages to be a kind of moral double standard between the sexes regarding sex, the need for that kind of...well....chivalry, has faded.

We never use the term "Polite Society" anymore, largely because it doesn't exist.

Pity.

But it's not going to stop me. I'm an antique. I'm an old dog who doesn't think the new trick is all that keen.

I will continue to open doors.
I will continue to help with coats and chairs.
It will always be "Ladies First."
I will always attempt to curb my language, even if I fail miserably most times.


Because if I stopped, my Mother would just KILL me.

2 comments:

Misti Ridiculous said...

oh this is good. i'm sending it to several gentelmen in training. MUAH!

Gertrude said...

You are a true gentleman Clemo. What a lovely piece you've written here... once again. Your not an antique... you are a classic.