Friday, February 20, 2009

Thank you for the Lawyers, Guns and Money.

Okay, here's the update.

Apparently, I'm the first person in the history of the organization to actually turn down a promotion.

Here's how it happened.

I applied for it, I really did. And I applied in good faith. But as the process began to wind its way around, and I must admit it took a looooooong time to wind its way around, I began to have doubts upon the merit of this promotion.

At the top, there was the money, which was okay, until you realize that last year I actually made more than the starting salary for the new position, so, not a step up there. And, with the addition of two days a week (bringing me from a well paid 32 hours a week to a slightly less well paid 40), the pay raise came to literally two days more work....I didn't see the advantage.

The responsibility was greater, yes....but sometimes more than the job was worth, in my opinion.

During the aforementioned "winding around time", there was a change in schedule, which allowed me a sizable weekend every two weeks, so more time at home.

All my life, it seems, I've been allowing jobs to become my life.
Tired of that now.
So, rather than let the job overwhelm what is left of my personal life, I decided to decline.

Bedlam came to breakfast.

First of all, rumors are flying around as to who was applying, who was going to get it, how the process was unfair, blah blah blah.....

Then, there was a question of the qualifications of one applicant.

Then, when they DID make the selections, for some reason they called the people who were rejected FIRST. So, when I declined, I put them in what is commonly referred to as, "a pretty pickle."

They didn't want to backtrack.
I didn't want to be forced to accept so that they could save face.

It's been a rough couple of days, but the selections have been made, and I'm doing my damnedest to make sure that everybody thinks that those selected were actually first choices. And to my mind, they are both the best possible candidates.

I was not, repeat, NOT the best candidate. My regret is that I didn't listen to my instincts.

2 comments:

Gertrude said...

Your such a tease Clemo!

Historiclemo said...

I can honestly say that's the first time anybody has ever called me that.