Saturday, January 19, 2008

Where the HELL did all these books come from?

So, today I decided to tackle the library.

I have a library in my basement. After years and years of my poor books being trapped in a kind of cardboard hell, I appealed to my dear wife....I said, "If it's not too much trouble, I would like a room where I can build a library."

She relented after nearly three minutes of whining, and when she found this house in which we now dwell, there was, in fact, a huge room in the basement where I could build my library.

So, I hired some guy to build my library.
And then, I put the books on the shelves.
And, with great pleasure, I realized I had more shelves than books.
"Oh, GOODY!" I thought, wondering why a grown man was using the word, "goody"...
"I can get more books!"

But here's the thing.
If you have a library, and you ALSO have the "Monk-ish" quality of having to have the books ordered by author, title, year of publication, and you also seem to have a need to separate the cloth from the paperback....

Let's just say that if you fill up your shelves, and you eventually buy another book, you're going to be moving books around forever. And that's what I did today.

And then, there's the qualifications between fiction and non-fiction, and the sub-qualifications of non-fiction crime, non-fiction history, and then you can go down to non-fiction-crime-solved, non-fiction-crime-unsolved, non-fiction-history-unitedstates-civilwar, etc.

Paralysis set in about forty minutes ago.

But I like looking at this collection of eclectic reads.

James Patterson. I love the Alex Cross novels, but my favorite one of his was called THE JESTER. Sure wish he'd write a sequel to that.

Rex Stout. If you've never read a Nero Wolfe story, you're missing out.

Larry McMurtry. I still ache at the end of LONESOME DOVE. But his SIN KILLER quadrillogy was very appetizing.

Leon Uris. Trinity. Read it.

James Clavell. What a great storyteller. SHOGUN. Japanese history comes alive in your hands.

Stephen King.
JK Rowling.
Conan Doyle. These are the meals you never get tired of.

Mark Twain. I think everybody should have to read something other than TOM SAWYER or HUCKLEBERRY FINN. I can remember reading that he had actually started a novel where Tom and Huck are old men. Would have loved to read that.

Michael and Jeff Shaara. Some of the best books written about the civil war.

And of course Larry Gonick's CARTOON HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE.

And there are so many more left to read.
I hope there isn't a nuclear holocaust. And if there is, I hope I don't break my glasses.

2 comments:

Kizz said...

Can't type.

Too jealous!

LIBRARY!!!!!!

Get duct tape (for glasses).

Gertrude said...

Totally! You know Zelda and I owned a bookstore.
Books. I still love books.
And yes, catagories and mass market paperbacks from hardbacks and trade paperbacks.
I have never read a single James Patterson book. He was mean to my daughter once at a book signing. Cranky old puss.
Never throw a single book away. Trade it. Recycle it at a near by retirement home. They always need them.
Books are one thing I will never feel a single once of guilt about owning.