Thursday, January 24, 2008

Pretty Random

I was shopping about today (Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, and a rib place for my dinner, for my lovely wife is working today), minding my own business, searching for some books (I wound up purchasing Stephen Colbert's book I AM AMERICA AND SO CAN YOU, simply because he makes me laugh and I can put it next to my copy of Jon Stewart's AMERICA: THE BOOK) and perhaps a dvd (SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE SEASON II) and since I'm listing, the ribs were pretty good.

Anyway, I'm cruising up the street, and I'm cut off by a ratty shitbox chevy with a bumper sticker that said, "You can't be both Catholic and Pro-Choice."

My response: "You can't be both Christian and suffer from road rage."

I'm curious on how all the Christians about me have become so, well...non. It's almost like they're saying to themselves, "Okay, I KNOW I have to forgive, but I'm not going to like it." And that, to me, makes very little sense. And, I'm pretty sure that a half-hearted confession ain't gonna get you into heaven. Unless it's a half-hearted heaven. You know...like third floor heaven or something.

I have a friend at work that has the same, general attitude. One afternoon, in a lull between our assignments, he began talking about how the "Christian Coalition" has become a political power.

He didn't seem to get it when I quoted Jesus: "Render up to Caesar what is Caesar's and render up to God what is God's."

Just.....didn't....make the connection.

And with every passing day, the hand gets closer and closer to the great Cosmic Toilets Flush Handle.


In other news......

I need to say something, and I apologize if I offend anyone.

I'm very angry at the amount of time being spent on the loss of Mr. Ledger.

I was never truly fond of his performances, but they didn't make me cringe, turn blue and fall to the floor; and I think he showed great courage in some of the later performances, as well as his later interviews. He showed some rare self-awareness in one, where he stated he knew that they were putting him together as a "pin-up" package, and that when he started, he was dreadfully aware that he didn't know the first thing about acting.

But this nonsense about being taken over by a role is just patently ridiculous, and as a former actor, I was offended that the press was using this as an excuse for a terrible accident.

Or, maybe it wasn't the role, but the fact that many actors have been worn down by the very experience of making a movie......and the subsequent nonsense that comes with the making of a movie. It's no wonder the guy couldn't sleep....

But, to blame it on a character created in the thirties by a comic book writer who was just afraid of clowns......come on.

Once again, I apologize for offending. I'm not kicking the man. I'm kicking the media.


In other other news.

Oscar nominations are out.
I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen a movie in a somnabitchlongtime.
Good luck to the nominees.


I like ice cream.


That should about cover it.

1 comment:

Gertrude said...

It's Ronald Reagan's fault really. You know this. He labeled us and put us all in little boxes full of ticky tacky. Red, Blue. Child killers. Wife beaters. You know so it would be easier to identify all the queers and whores sucking this Nation into a world of sex and disease and sin.
"We will all have the HIV before it is all over with" he must have thought before he forgot to think.
Its all Irony.
Lucky you get it.
Lucky that you can laugh about it.
They don't.