Friday, January 11, 2008

A Random FRIDAY!

Usually, I make Thursdays random, but since I wrote such a beautiful elegy to my past yesterday, I thought I'd be random today, instead.

Ten random thoughts on a Friday morning, which feels more like a Monday, with traces of Tuesday afternoon:

1. "It's hard to remember that your job is to clear out the swamp when you're up to your ass in alligators." Quote attributed to my Grandfather, Keith Clemo. This has been my mantra since I have been old enough to understand it. I've used it on many occasions.

2. Growth is often measured by the attempt, and not the actual change.
I often told my students this, and encouraged them to remember that you never really learn anything from success.

3. In a society where mediocrity is lavishly rewarded, there's really no point in striving for greatness.
For anybody who has paid any attention to any media since the Truman administration, you know what I'm talking about.

4. No matter how hard to try, you can't bend a cracker.
And by the way, I learned in Saginaw that you can't bounce a bowling ball, either.

5. Parting is all we know of heaven, and all we need of hell.
You've got to love Emily Dickinson.

6. If a thousand people do a stupid thing, it's STILL a stupid thing.
Some of these are self explanatory.

7. When somebody asks for a list of things you would take to a deserted island, make sure that one of them is, "a boat."

8. I once fell in love with a girl because of the way she ordered at a Denny's. She opened the menu and pointed to the item she wanted. She was much too embarrassed to say, "Moons Over My Hammy" out loud.

9. If you're living right, then the longer you go on, the more puzzled you should actually become.

10. It is perfectly permissable to find yourself dancing to MMMBop. Everybody is entitled to a lapse in musical taste from time to time, and I challenge you NOT to move around while that damned song is playing.

1 comment:

Misti Ridiculous said...

DUDE!! I had that very conversation about MMMMBOP today at the salon as it was playing!!! Bwa ha ha ha ha. miles away, still sharing a bit of brain. exxxxxxxxxcellent. cannot wait to see you next week. Gert may join us for dinner!