Friday, March 11, 2011

This one's for you.

Another one from the vaults......

There is a kind of creativity that is spawned by the simple act of pressing Shuffle on the IPod.

Songs about Courage; songs about being All We Are; Miss Turner struttin' to You Better Be Good To Me.

You can take the boy out of Motown, but you can't take Motown out of the boy.

And then, it comes. Harry Chapin. Legends of the Lost and Found.

My formative years (College, where I learned to drink like a sailor, swear like a drunk, and pick up women like a festering leper) were filled with the tunes of Harry. I knew of the artist; he had a few light hits during the 70's, and since Detroit was a cornucopia of musical tastes, I heard and enjoyed his music.

But it was a roommate of mine named Ralph who seemed to own all the albums. And yes, they were vinyl in those days. And he played them, and I listened. And I listened. And I've been listening for 30 years.

There was one song on the album I just mentioned, Legends of the Lost and Found....it was called Corey's Comin'. He had recorded it on a previous album, but Legends was a live album, so that performance added a few verses, and gave it a kind of fire that burned like the studio cut never could.

It is best described as "and old man with a dream, and a young man who buys it." John Joseph lives a seemingly lonely life, but always speaks of his love, a woman named Corey...the problem is, nobody has ever seen Corey. And the young man who is his friend gently chides him about it.....

But when the old John dies, there are four people at the funeral; the young man, the grave digger, the parson.....and a young woman named Corey.

Corey's comin'
No more sad stories comin';
My midnight, moonlight, morning glory's comin'
Aren't you, girl?
And like I told you
When she holds you
She enfolds you in her world.

The song is spring and first love and last love and comfort and joy.

Everybody should have a Corey. Just for a little while.

1 comment:

Misti Ridiculous said...

Okay, I don't know Harry Chapin. I know Mary Chapin Carpenter...
feed me Seymour. What shall I download?