Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Building a condo in the Dragon's Jaws.

I got an email this morning from a Northern State friend of mine, who wondered how I was adjusting to my return from the warmer climates of the Southern State to the other climate of the Capitol City of the Northern State.

I smiled.

Who thinks about their adjustment to new situations, or old situations, or old situations that are new situations because you went someplace and came back?

So, I thought about it.

I find that I'm not adjusting. I'm just moving through it.

Sometimes, a vacation can give you a new perspective on your situation. This can be a good thing; it can lead to new creativity, new ideas, new paths.

Alas, my Agency is not interested in new paths, new ideas, and certainly any creativity is welcomed much like Typhoid Mary was welcomed into the kitchen of a popular restaurant.

My work-a-day world would make Bob Cratchitt wince. There are days when you wonder how somebody can thrive in a position when chastisement comes at the simplest of errors; the equivalent of being chained to the back of a truck and driven up and down the railroad tracks because you misplaced the butter in the refrigerator.

The only thing that makes it bearable for someone who spent a majority of their life in creative pursuits to sit in the darkness and create paper, send electronic paper, and speak to bodiless voices is to live entirely in their heads.

To quote Ralph Wiggum, "In my dreams, I'm a VIKING!"

So, in the dark of the night, if you feel the need to have some kind of inspiring conversation, or you want to inspire such....come on up and see me.

I'm a theatrical encyclopedia. I'm very up-to-date on pop culture. I have a certain affinity for trivia.

And I like Oreos.

2 comments:

Kizz said...

Go check out the epic battle I foolishly engaged in last night on Facebook about the relative worth of messages to women in The Social Network and Black Swan. My verdict? BOTH BAD! But for good reason.

Kizz said...

This blog post has a link to a place you can supposedly download Doonesbury. I'm at work so I haven't tried it but it looks like it might actually work.

http://thriftshopaudio.blogspot.com/2010/07/doonesbury-new-musical.html