Thursday, March 10, 2011

I am the Captain of my Soul....

The sun is out and the sky is blue, which belies the fact that the temperature is still not spring-like. Spring-like come very late here in the Northern State; in fact, anywhere that I have lived at this latitude can be deceptive.....

I can remember a day like this, back in the midsection of the 1980's. It was sunny and blue, and the temperature in the Northern College Town of my youth was a frostbite-inducing -60. And I'm not kidding about the frostbite. I'm hoping that's the LAST time I suffer from that strange and horrible malady.

Time marches on, toward the inevitable thawing, flooding, raining, flooding, thinking about moving, and the dawning of Summer.

We had a joke in another Northern State: What do you do hear in the summer? Well, if it doesn't rain that day, we have a picnic.

Eleven months of winter, and thirty days of rain.

I've pretty much worn out the weather as a topic, so I'll move on.

I start work again tonight. Well, technically, it would be tomorrow, because I go on at midnight, but my days in the sun are done for the time being. I do not relish this fact, although I've always been the little worker bee......

I've worked pretty much every day of my adult life (and I include those days of travelling from one job to the next as 'work'). In fact, upon moving to this Northern State, I found myself unemployed for the first time since...well, since the summer of 1982. And even though it was not imperative that I get a job, I lasted approximately 13 days before the cabin fever began to eat at me. And so, I went back to work. And I've been going ever since.

Two weeks of unemployment in 29 years.

I'll get back into the swing of it very soon, I suppose. But I've made myself a promise. Call it a Lenten Vow, if you will.

My job will not be my life. Ever again.

I'm going to enjoy the blue sky and the big ball of fire that sits in the sky.

I may even do a little dance, if I can persuade anybody to join me.

1 comment:

Misti Ridiculous said...

I'm dancing. right now. I'll dance with you anytime! I applaud your Lenten Vow.