Wednesday, January 26, 2011

You cannot have a light, without a dark to stick it into.

Okay, kids....the koolaid has been consumed.

There are now four steps to the development of character in a production:

1. Book in hand; homework.

2. Book out of hand, but seeing it in your head; more homework.

3. No longer seeing the script; homework and book together in head; integration complete.

4. Knowledge.

The last one always comes; in this particular production, it comes in fits and starts, and one of my favorite cast members pokes fun at the face that I make when the lesson hits home, or the revelation comes to light: I look like a small child who just got the BEST present on Christmas Day.

But the best revelations are always the ones that rock my perception of my own self.

So...the things I've learned thus far:

Fear and Cowardice lead to anxiety, which blocks the light.

It takes Courage; and Courage is active.

Revelations come when they come; they cannot be forced, or coerced.

and finally,

Talking about C.S. Lewis and Good/Evil and all that, to an invisible audience of radio listeners at 0830, without the benefit of a stronger cup of coffee than I had, is HARD.

No comments: