Sunday, January 16, 2011

Contradictions and the Dance.

Yes, my friends, life is a series of contradictions.

Ever since our species came into what could be referred to as "self-awareness", and tried to either explain or justify the behavior of said species, we have been inundated with the concepts of God and The Devil.

I'm currently playing a fiend on the stage, so my mind wanders.....

Did mankind create the physical manifestations of the deities, to justify our yearnings for Utopia where Thag wishes for everyone to be as warm as he, while explaining the lengths we would go to get Thag's firestick? Up to, and including a well-placed rock upside old Thag's bean?

Or, have they always been there, the Lord and his Fallen Favorite? One, basking in the light, while the other hides in the shadows?

I enjoy the various legends:

How in one culture, the two polar opposites struggle, until the light tosses the dark to the earth....but in binding the dark to the earth, the light can no longer directly influence what happens upon the earth....

How one Fantasy writer suggests that all the Incarnations of Immortality (Fate, Time, Death, War, Good, Evil, etc) are drafted and serve until they are too old to continue....and that Evil is the oldest active member, because Good has been so smitten with his own visage, he's ceased to be interested.

How there are angels around us.

How there are fiends around us.

But I sometimes wonder, if such things are just a way to avoid taking responsibility, much like they probably did in Salem, to avoid punishment for wicked deeds...."I saw HistoriClemo with the Devil!"

My favorite quote from the Witch Trials? "More Weight." Look it up, it's a good story.

My feelings on the subject change with every new discovery in this loooooong road that is life. I used to think one thing, now I think another.

When I was a younger man, and lost a loved one, I thought God was a perverse m*****f***er.

As I grew older, I realized that it was far easier to lean toward the earth than it was to reach toward Heaven.

Then, I understood that conscience is where God lies....and that sent me down one exit ramp onto another highway....because I started listening to it.

Now, I'm as old as I have ever been, and I think that there is no scale; there is no universal truth; there are pieces of a puzzle that changes with every tick of the clock, and we have to strive to make the pieces fit....even for a while. We need to understand that between what I think and what you think is a vast gulf of wiggle-room, and in that space, there can be dancing.

But dancing is best when two people are working together.



Okay, that started one place, and ended in another.



Eh. It's my party and I'll write what I want to.....

No comments: