Saturday, January 22, 2011

Pause and Reflect. Again.

I recently posted number 500. I began on this journey in the first months of 2008, and I have mixed emotions about having written, periodically, for three years. There is a vulnerability in writing down those things that come to you immediately; each of those moments now cast in a kind of cyber-amber, I wonder if perhaps the rashness of those passing years is deserving of such...permanent....tribute.

I have written more about failures than I have successes; either a personal failure, like my occasional lacking of grace, or the perceived failure of my surroundings, my circle, my government.....

I've written about friends.

I've written about adversaries.

And how both categories have affected me.

I've written about my Parents; one passage served as the basis for my Mother's eulogy; one served as a Birthday card.

I've written about Baseball and Hockey and oh, those wonderfully disappointing Lions.

I've written about travels, and I've dropped advice on books and music. I've dropped in video of The Frantics (BOOT TO THE HEAD!) and Gomez (SEE THE WORLD) and Josh Ritter (GOOD MAN).

I've even written a love letter or two.

The longest continuous spell of writing came in November of 2008, when I wrote every day just to see if I could. The definition of success in this endeavor is open to interpretation.

I go long periods of time without writing at all. Sometimes, it's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

The enjoyment comes in the process.

And, in this trivial reminicence of the past 500, let me add just two new things, to launch me into the NEXT 500....

Goodbye, Mr. Olbermann. I'll miss you; but I will be watching to see where you land next. You made me laugh and you made me think. And occasionally, you royally pissed me off.....but you were one of the first to claim that the Emperor Had No Clothes, and for that, I salute you.

And, farewell, Connor Knighton. Current TV's INFOMANIA won't be as sardonic without you.

Thank you for reading.

1 comment: