Thursday, January 27, 2011

Musings on a day before another first night.

Well, the show opens tonight, and for some reason, my mind has drifted back not to my days as a professional, but my days as a young amateur.

Not even college.

High school.

I don't actually drift back to high school very often; my memories of it are vague after all these years (I missed my 30th reunion last July, but that may be going a little far....I didn't really miss it. I didn't go; and I didn't miss it), and although they say true when it comes to those friendships (they DO last forever), the individual friendships last, while the community relationships tend to fade.

But.....there are some memories that are as clear as the Bells of St. Mary's.

I can remember the first line I said on a stage when I was a sophomore: "God, look at all those Communists!" from Don't Drink The Water by Woody Allen. I can remember the miserable set for Look Homeward, Angel. And I can remember cast parties.

Later in life, it was said that if you can remember it, it wasn't that good...but it was High School in a different age....B.A: Before Alcoholism.

I think in high school, you did plays so you could attend cast parties. They were good parties that lasted long into the night following the final performance. And there were memorable moments associated with cast parties.....

I can remember that I watched my first episode of Saturday Night Live at a cast party, in the fall of 1977. Couldn't tell you who the host was at this point, but the musical guest was Leon Redbone. I can even tell you who suggested I watch; it was a guy named Joe Henry, who is now a very successful recording artist/producer.

Another brush with greatness.

Oh, and I had a HUGE crush on his sister, Cathy....she sat with me in Biology. But that's another post, entirely.

I can remember one specific party...it was for a production of Anne of the Thousand Days; I played Anne's Father, and he wasn't a very good one, if you know the story.

It was a tradition to give gag gifts, and I got a book called How To Father. It was a book I've never needed, of course, but it sat on my bookshelf for many years, until my Brother required the knowledge.

And then, there was a crush I had on one of the crew. Her name was Elizabeth, and she had short hair, a long lovely neck, and freckles. I had known her for quite some time; in this particular school district, if you lived in the same vicinity, you went to school together from Elementary on up....and I think I knew Elizabeth from Elementary school.

Well, it didn't go anywhere, at all. I could never admit to the feelings to anybody but my own heart; and I was far too insecure to engage in any kind of conversation without falling all over myself; and, I was the Jester, not the Knight; and Jesters never won Lady Fair. So, I nursed the feeling, quietly.

But for some reason that completely amazes me to this day...she kissed me. I was leaving the party, and she met me at the door and she gave me a hug, and then she leaned in and she kissed me. And that was it. There was never an advance upon the moment, and I cannot recall another connection of any kind with Elizabeth with the short hair and the long neck and the freckles.

I was never sure if she had heard of my crush, but that's the only explanation I can come up with for her sweet generosity. But, over thirty years have passed, and I still remember that moment, and what it meant at that moment.

How lovely to have had that one moment.

No comments: