Thursday, August 28, 2008

Peter and Wendy had it so good.

Wow. Where did my summer go? It was creeping up just a little while ago, and I turned my back for one second and BOOM! All of a sudden, it's almost September, it's almost LABOR FREAKIN' DAY WEEKEND, and I'm wondering where the hell the summer went?

I guess there's still time for corn on the cob, and chicken crisped over charcoal. But the sun is setting earlier, and it's actually chilly in the morning....and I miss the river of my childhood.

Don't get me wrong, I do have an affinity for the frost on the pumpkin. The smell of the leaves burning in backyard alleyways....the sound of a live football college football game as the sun just begins to set and the lights come on.....the sound of the streets on any given Hallowe'en. It makes me want to bust out my favorite Ray Bradbury novels, and bury myself deep within them.

Oh, where the mind wanders to, free and unfettered.....

There was a girl of my youth; her name was Vicki. The sun was setting on a cool September evening, as we walked hand in hand through the campus, and on up Third Street for Pizza and a Movie. The cares of the week ahead and behind us, the warmth of her hand in mine....the crispness of the air.

The sound of a marching band. Nothing like the cacophony of sound of a marching band under the Friday Night Lights.

The wind off of Lake Superior on the night I laughed so hard I thought I'd die.
Star gazing.
James Taylor on the stereo.
September Grass....

And the babble that comes when the aged envy the young.
And that, my friends, is the most interesting surprise of all.

No comments: