Saturday, August 2, 2008

I had the munchies, so I ate all my books.

Did you ever have those days where you just....can't.....read...enough?

You can't read enough to satisfy some strange and magnificent craving for information of ANY kind. It's not exactly an itch you can't scratch, but a hunger that cannot, under any circumstances, be sated.

Even with chocolate cake.

I love chocolate cake.

Wow. Distracted for a minute. Back now.

Anyway.....yesterday, it was like that; my brain was saying, "Feed me, Krellborn, Feed me NOW...." and I was spooning it up like it was 1999.

"I'm just a mean green mother from outer space, and I'm bad....."

Oops. Another distraction. Come back to the point, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean....

MMMMM. Sausage.

Crap. This is getting me nowhere.

What was there to eat in the house? Well........

Nonfiction: Currently researching an airplane hijacking in 1971, reading up on things I didn't know about the Columbine shooting, a new biography of Daniel Boone, reading a bloody MANUAL on how to eliminate broad leaf weeds from a fescue lawn, and a great book about interviews with men in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Fiction: Re-reading Working by Studs Turkel, The Revenge of Moriarty by John Gardner, and considering Rhett's People, but would rather re-read Gone With The Wind.

Magazines: Civil War Digest. Particularly the back issue with the great article about Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson.

Catalogs: Seriously, the brain was just SCREAMIN' for it.

The sad part was that this went on into the night. My wife came in from work early this morning, and there I was....books scattered about, looking like a psychotic professor.

"I've read everything, man, I've read everything...."

There I go again....

"I've read Shakespeare, Thomas Kyd,
Marvelled at the things they did;
John Irving, James Clavell,
He's dead, but you can hardly tell;
Greek Myths in a pinch,
I can't put down the Bullfinch;
Halberstam and Mark Twain,
I'm telling you I'm half insane!


If you read that with a Johnny Cash accent, it sounds better, btw...

To sum up......I'm tired. But I know a lot more today than I did yesterday. And imagine what I'll know tomorrow.

1 comment:

Gertrude said...

You big ole' hunk of book worm you!
So like a delicious meal I should cook for myself more often.