Friday, August 15, 2008

Paradise belongs to those with the ability to make people laugh....



I have been an on-again, off-again fan of A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION since I first heard it on WCMU out of Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, in the fall of '82. I've always been fond of radio; Jack Benny, Burns and Allen, The Goon Show...and PHC is a lovely blend of the past and the present.....

Last night, I had the opportunity to see the touring show, as it came through this little northern state capital.

Some observations:

1. Mr. Keillor is a wonderful writer, and his monologue at the end of the evening (which I recognized as a synopsis of all the good parts of his book, PONTOON) was delightful: Just this guy, walking up and down the stage, telling the story. I have a couple of cd's of him reading his own work, and I'll wear them out and get new ones.....

2. He should sing occasionally. But only that.

3. His band cooks. Could use more cowbell, though.

4. Lake Wobegon reminds me so very much of the little town of Harrison, Michigan, where I spent delightful summers as a boy. Summers lasted forever, the sun came up when I put my feet on the floor, and went down at half past never. There was always story telling around the fire in the evenings, the fireflies filled the night, and the Cedar River was there to sing you sweet lullabies until the morning.

Ah. I wonder if it's a good thing to be able to simultaneously warm and tear your heart.

I've added Garrison Keillor to my list of people I want to have dinner with. I think he and Mark Twain would have a wonderful time, telling Poe to lighten up.

In other news.....they're sending me to Washington. More on that as it develops.

And with that, I'm all dried up.....even the keys feel weird underneath my fingers.

1 comment:

Kizz said...

Re: #3, Couldn't we all?