Monday, August 4, 2008

I should work for the Chamber of Commerce.

I'm off to Fargo this afternoon, to spend a couple of days finishing up on the whole "statewide enlightenment". For those of you whose only image of Fargo comes from a movie that was actually filmed in Minneapolis, well....it's not the end of the world, but the end of the world is just a quick drive from there....

I've said it before, but the scenery here in North Dakota is varied; sure, you can see all the way to the horizon from my back porch, but if you travel north for a bit, you can see all the way to Canada; and if you travel west, you can see the glory that is the Badlands. Fargo is, in fact, the largest city in the state, but the tallest building (the capitol building) is in Bismarck. We also have the geographic center of the continent here, at a place called Rugby.

I don't know how this turned into a triptych, but there you go.

I would just like to add that while the economy is bleak in most of the country, ours is surprisingly strong; the housing market has not slumped, gas prices are fairly reasonable, and we are at present sitting on the largest deposits of oil in on this continent here in the Williston basin. It's GETTING to it that appears to be the sticking point.

But when they DO get to all that oil, all we'll need to do is build refineries, and we'll have enough oil to satisfy our needs for a century! A whole CENTURY! And who gives a crap about what happens after that, 'cause I'll be dead, dead, dead!

That's why I didn't have children; so that when people ask me what I'm leaving for my children I can say, "Not a garshdarn thing! HA!"

And when people say I'm being selfish, I poke them in the eye and run away, laughing maniacally.

I don't really have an ending for this, so if you could all just hearken back to the final episode of The Sopranos and wait for the

1 comment:

Gertrude said...

I loved the Badlands. They weren't so bad after all it turns out. It looked like God's ice cream container where he scooped out dips of fudge ripple ice cream.