Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fifth.

Today is my first day off in what my Missouri friends would call a "somnabitchlongtime."

Raining, of course.

Woke up this morning not quite remembering what day it was. Turned on the television, and saw an ad for Obama for President. I know it's a formality, but shouldn't you actually wait to be nominated? It's kind of like setting up Christmas decorations before Halloween.

Oh. Wait.

Craaaaaaap.

Didn't do much yesterday. I'm not much for fireworks or crowds, and since I put in a full day's work yesterday...I didn't feel the need to go out. As a man in continual recovery, I tend to look at certain holidays as "amateur hour." Fourth of July, New Year's Eve, Memorial Day, etc.....these are the days when stupid people drink more than they should and go out cruising.

In the words of the famous Sam Goldwyn, "Gentlemen, include me out."

I did miss the smell of the barbecue, though. And the taste of the corn on the cob.

Or, perhaps it was just the childhood I missed.

God Bless America. May we eventually walk out of the fog.

1 comment:

Gertrude said...

It passed you by without a bang... what a pity.
I too spend the holidays and any other day ending with Y that I am going to drive SOBER...
But I don't feel like shit the next day either.
And when you have been a bartender for as long as I have... everybody is an amatuer drinker.
Blow a few off today... the holiday is a weekend holiday so it lasts longer.