Saturday, July 26, 2008

Elvis has left the building; but Manilow remains.

It was quieter in Vegas.

And you called a magic number, and food arrived at your door.

The air was filled with many sounds; of bells, whistles, the hoots of the victorious and the groans of the failed.

And one ten minute monorail ride later, you were chatting with a Ferengi. And buying a lot of Trek souvenirs.

And admitting, not for the first time, that I am a geek.

There's nothing like Vegas in the early daylight hours: The sun rises, and like vampires, the people of the streets scatter to await the sunset. And I would walk the strip, marvelling at the architecture, wondering, not for the first time, what future generations will think of a small version of the NYC skyline, right next to the Green Pyramid of Giza. In the morning, nobody hassles you, or tries to hand you a pamphlet on where to find the loosest slots, or the loosest women....and the temperature is just right.

I was impressed with the Second City troupe. The writing was crisp, the performances equally so. A couple of the sketches were poignant, which is a nice color to comedy, and a couple of the blackout scenes so clever, I was the only one laughing. I WAS a little disappointed in the audience, though. The funniest things for this particular audience seemed to be flatulence, feminine hygiene products, and smoking dope. Real bargain basement crap.

And I am, admittedly, a comedy snob.....which another reason I rarely set foot in theatres anymore. Unless I am with company that can truly appreciate the nuances....

I was sad to see that the statue of Elvis has been removed from the Hilton lobby. Maybe Barry Manilow was jealous. I am also sad to see that we needed three artists to replace Celene Dion: Cher, Midler, and Elton John.

And I'm sad that Star Trek: The Experience is closing.

That being said.....

I turned forty seven on Monday.
The mirror didn't lie on that fateful morning.
The truth must be that I earned every line;
And paid for every small, broken vessel upon my cheek
With Russia's favorite export.
I cultivated every single grey follicle.
Forty Seven.
And I realize that there is more behind me than in front of me;
And I would trade some of it, cheaply.
But other things,
Most other things,
Not for the wide world.

3 comments:

Kizz said...

Happy Birthday friend. I'm glad you were on vacation for it. Mwah!

Misti Ridiculous said...

happy happy happy joy joy joy. forever more.

Gertrude said...

Boo! Where did Elvis go?
Clemo, what a gift you have been to me. Zelda always gifts me the best of people. Good people. I know you only through your words but feel organically close to you in a BFF way.
I wish you the happiest of all birthdays!
Your a Good Man, Clemo!