Friday, July 11, 2008

Babblings from the Northern Part of Dakota.

Things I enjoy:

The mellow temperatures and clear skies that follow the truly scary weather patterns.

The genuine laughter that comes from being surprised by anything on television.

An old song that plays on the radio that you still know the words to after many years.


Things I'm going to recommend today:

A Canadian Television sitcom titled CORNER GAS. You can find it on WGN out of Chicago that I think has exclusive rights to it. It's where I had this weeks genuine laughter.

ALL FOR LAYNA, a song that originally the last cut on the first side of the album GLASS HOUSES by Billy Joel. Heard it in the car yesterday, and knew all the words, even though I'm pretty sure I haven't heard it since college.

A house with a basement. Especially when you live in a place where you can see the wicked weather coming for miles and miles.


And now, a story that's relevant:

Years ago, when I met most of you that read this, I lived in a house with many people, in a town that really didn't have much to offer. The house was fine, and the people rare and interesting and cherished of memory. Four more UN-ALIKE people you would never meet again....but I live with the memory of knowing that they would take the bullet for me, and I would do the same for them.

That being said: There was a tradition between the men in the house, and on any given weekend, we would stand in the kitchen and dance and sing the "I've got no life" song. It went something like this:

I've got no life,
I've got no life;
No life, no life,
And no hope for a life...
(repeat as necessary)

The dance looked like two spastic leprechauns.
Or maybe, it was just us that looked like two spastic leprechauns.

I woke up humming the song, but stopped dancing when my wife came in. I think I heard her muttering something about "spastic leprechaun" as she exited.

The relevency is: Some days are life-like, the way wax fruit is life-like. Today, it's not life, but an incredible simulation.

My luck: I get simulation when I want stimulation.

Ptooie.

3 comments:

Kizz said...

We thought we were all so close and yet, I knew nothing of this spastic leprechaun dance!

Historiclemo said...

Also, I can't figure out why so many people wanted to sleep with him. Besides the obvious answer. Oh, and he looked more spastic than me.

ChromePlatedGirl said...

For the record...
I never wanted to sleep with him.