Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Little Light Verse...Half the Calories of Regular Verse!

My friend Kizz reminds me that today is something called 'Poem in the Pocket Day.'

I must admit that poetry is one of my weakest subjects; I am reasonably versed (yes, I meant it) in T.S. Eliot, Edgar Allan Poe, Emily Dickinson and the sonnets of Shakespeare, but my favorite poet was a fellow my Father introduced me to when I was just a lad.

Ladies and Gentleman, allow me to present to you....Ogden Nash!

Fahrenheit Gesundheit

Nothing is glummer
Than a cold in the summer.
A summer cold
Is to have and to hold.

A cough in the fall
Is nothing at all,
A winter snuffle
Is lost in the shuffle,
And April sneezes
Put leaves on the treeses,
But a summer cold
Is to have and to hold.

Through golf course and beach
Slip beyond your reach,
By a fate grotesque
You can get to your desk,
And there is no rescue
From this germ grotesque.
You can feel it coming
In your nasal plumbing,
But there is no plumber
For a cold in the summer.

Nostrilly, tonsilly,
It prowls irresponsilly;
In your personal firmament
Its abode is permanent.
Oh, would it were curable
Rather than durable;
Were it Goering's or Himmler's,
Or somebody simlar's!
O Laval were it thine!
But it isn't, it's mine.
A summer cold
Is to have and to hold.

And because of Kizz, and her recent penchant for the works of Dorothy Parker, I present my favorite of her works......

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

Talk to you soon......

1 comment:

Kizz said...

This line thrills me:

"Were it Goering's or Himmler's,
Or somebody simlar's!"