Sunday, April 24, 2011

Floating down the stream of consciousness......

It's a bit before 3 AM, and here I am....again.

Adulthood is not about getting older; it's about getting used to the repetition that life becomes.

Life is a banquet, so they say...and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death.

Feed me, Krelborn, feed me now.......

A long time ago, or maybe it wasn't.....there was a girl that would hold my hand in the dark as we listened to the world go on around us. Her hand was soft and warm, and her eyes were kind and pretty when they danced with the seemingly endless excitement she enjoyed.

I miss that.

It finally stopped snowing here in the Capital City of the Northern State. It's still cold in the nighttime, but getting warmer in the daytime. Things are melting. It's almost time to start thinking less about snow plowing and more about lawn mowing.

It's always something.....

There's a tradition I had for many years when I lived in Missouri, and this time of year was marked by the ending of a Semester, with a herd of graduates from the Hilltop College running off to real life. There were projects to grade, finals to mark, and the prospect of a summer theatre gig sitting warm in my chest.

In the warmth of the Missouri spring, it was a tradition to listen to a particular radio program in it's entirety. I got the idea from a stage manager friend of mine, who on the first day of summer would read THE GREAT GATSBY from cover to cover.

I would listen to the ZBS production called SARATOGA SPRINGS from start to finish. 91 episodes; about six hours of really fun radio comedy/drama, following the fictional lives of these characters who live in Saratoga Springs.

I wore out the cassette tapes years ago, so I stopped the tradition.

But they just re-released the entire work on CD. I'm in heaven. The tradition begins again.

Springtime.....Baseball starting up; Hockey winding down; Basketball to ignore; Saratoga Springs; and the desire to do something theatrically significant.....

Well....four out of five ain't bad.

No comments: