Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lying in a Hammock in the Pouring Rain: The Musings of a Loveable Idiot....

We, the unwilling,
Led by the unknowing,
Are doing the impossible
For the ungrateful.

We have been doing so much
With so little
For so long
That we are now qualified to do anything
With nothing.

Sometimes, my life seems like a dance.
One step up, two steps back.
I think I've said this before,
But apparently, it bears repeating.

When I teach, I feel as whole as I did when I was alone on a stage,
The palm of my hand filled with the hearts of the invisible masses
Who are with me, with me, right down the line.

Some of my favorite lines:

The answer is, I don't know who I am and if I did I would be the most miserable man on earth, for my greatest happiness lies in the fact that I occupy a most unique position-that of not having been cast for a part in the great world drama of life. I am a lonely, single-handed spectator sitting back, looking on and laughing at the monkey-shines of the great all-star company of several billions of men and women who are unknowingly playing the piece for me-they're playing the piece for me. I am the audience, but a good audience, withal, for I laugh---I am the audience, and if I may say so, a highly intellectual audience, for in all the changing scenes of this ever-beginning, never-ending plotless plot, I recognize the spiritual hand of a great director, a master director, who has so skillfully staged this tightly woven, disconnected, tightly knitted spectacle of tragic nonsense, and so I am amused, and I laugh, and I applaud. And if I'm any critic, it's a bully good show, and I hope some day to meet the author, and compliment him upon his marvelous entertainment.
-The Vagabond
The Tavern by George M. Cohan

Some of my favorite lyrics:

I met a German girl in England
Who was goin' to school in France
And we danced in Mississippi
At an Alpha Kappa Dance....
-It Wasn't Me by George Thoroughgood

Books I should always recommend, but don't:

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King
The Mask of Apollo by Mary Renault
The Only Game in Town by Fay Vincent
Trinity by Leon Uris
I, Claudius by Robert Graves
The Golden Spiders by Rex Stout
The Civil War by Shelby Foote
Kovacsland by Diana Rico
The Cartoon History of the United States by Larry Gonick

My middle name is Wesley.

I prefer Next Generation to the Original Series.
But I prefer Kirk to Picard.
And Voyager grows on you.

If you play MMMBop backwards, it sounds pretty much the same.

Oh, the random thoughts of the exhaustipated individual.

1 comment:

Kizz said...

You know I actually prefer Janeway to all of them but I do think TNG was the best of the lot, though DS9 had some good points. I have not watched even a moment of any of the series in over a decade and the other day I found myself thinking, "I miss Worf."