Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Let us sit upon the ground.....

It's been a very bad couple of weeks, kids.

I've never been very good at goodbyes, and I've had to say it far too many times in the last couple of weeks.

I'm grateful, at least, that the weather is dull and cloudy, and that the rain mimics the tears, because if it was sunny it would be too hard to bear.

The first time I met my brother-in-law Terry was at a threshing festival in the little town of Makoti, North Dakota. He was carrying a cup of coffee and smoking a cigarette and it was a bit chilly that morning, so we were all dressed for it.

He treated me as if he'd known me all my life.

The best party I think I ever attended was a July 4th party at the family farm. Terry was a fourth generation farmer in a land where you could see from horizon to horizon. There was lots of food, plenty of relatives to me and re-meet, a bounce house for the kids, and fireworks at the end of the night. And the day moved at it's own pace, which was terrific.

One of the quintessential moments that I remember about that was when they brought out the guns. I've never been fond of guns, and when asked to give it a whirl, I declined. Terry gave me a look, but before he could ask why, I put on my best John Wayne and said, "Ever since I shot that man in Lubbock, I swore I'd never pick up a gun again."

He laughed. And I think we connected in that moment.

And that moment I'll remember forever.

Terry passed away on Sunday afternoon, after a long battle with Cancer. We'll say the words and perform the rites and such tomorrow. I'll keep my wife's chin up as best as I can, and I'll play the clown to lighten the mood, because that's what's expected of me.

It's been a very bad couple of weeks.

Thank God for the rain.

2 comments:

Kizz said...

Best wishes for your funeral clown day. It's been a bad year for this sort of stuff. Not happy at all.

Gertrude said...

Clemo.

There should not been an end of the living... perhaps just a pause and then a new beginning a do again.

Its possible.
I hope you meet your friends again...is that right to say? Do you understand what I mean?
I mean I hope that it doesn't really end forever... just now... in this stage of knowing.
And I hope that at another stage you are all together again.

I never say the right things when it comes to passings...

I am sorry. I probably just should have left it at that.
shrug.