Monday, June 16, 2008

Indecision, Philosophy, The Week Ahead, and the Joker, all in one post.

I'm trying to decide what to do today.

I DID take a long walk today, in the hopes that some physical exertion would, in fact, stir my creative side. All I got was, "why do we yawn at creation, and revel in destruction?", which is something somebody ELSE must have said once upon a time.

I also got, "mmmmmm......cracker barrel." But that was just my stomach, pleading for a breakfast that doesn't look or taste like twigs.

And that was, in fact, "twigs," not "twix." Although Twix for breakfast doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Let's see....

My week is a crap storm, for the most part. Or, a crap storm in the making. I do believe that I need to be teaching a course in Jamestown on Wednesday, but since we scheduled it at the end of May, I haven't heard any more about it. But, I'm assuming I'll be in a car driving two hours early Wednesday morning. I do believe I'll also be spending a whole week in Tulsa, Oklahoma, starting NEXT week, and I'm not sure exactly what I'll be learning down there, and I haven't gotten confirmation on the class, or even bought plane tickets or made reservations. But it's the government, and they don't care whether they pay 200 or 2000 dollars for a ticket. Apparently.

You know something? I don't like what they've done to the Joker in the new Batman film. I've seen the trailers, and I have to tell you; I'm a purist. I like the idea of the Joker being crazy, but kind of manic-depressive crazy. You never know whether it's going to be water or acid in the ol' squirt gun....but it could be either. The whole "psychotic for the sake of being psychotic" has been done to death.

One of the things that made the Joker such an interesting villain in the comic books was that he often got the Batman's goat; the dark, brooding hero knows how to deal with the guy who uses a flame thrower on the orphanage, but doesn't know how to deal with the guy who brings the gun with the flag that goes, "bang!"

Ah, what the hell do I know?

And with that, I'm going to sit on the porch with a cup of coffee and watch the robins dance on the fence.

I think it's the Tarantella.

3 comments:

Misti Ridiculous said...

NO NOT TULSA!!! You want OKC!!!!! Make them change that!!

Kizz said...

Mmm, Twix!

Whoops, sorry, got distracted.

Gertrude said...

Batman is not Batman without Micheal Keaton anyway. I mean Val was decent and George tried.
I won't go see it.
All the things you said...I agree.
Joker was a joker else they would have named him Psycho or Ted.