Monday, May 26, 2008

The voice of Mo.

Today, I heard a voice from beyond. And the memories came flooding back.

I went to college in the northern part of Michigan, and in those romantic days of youth, there were many more people in my life than there are now. I find it difficult to imagine now, that given my self-abusive nature, I've survived so many people.

My ghosts.
And I remember them; they all seem to pass right around my birthday; lending my aging an even larger kick in the crotch.

I just deleted an entire list of the people I carry in my heart, because it became far too morose, so I'll just tell you about one of my tragic near-misses.

Her name was Maureen. She was a year ahead of me, and the only things we had in common were theatre, a sarcastic sense of humor, and the fact that our downstate homes were only about 15 minutes from each other.

Secretly, she was a lovely girl; tall, just a little more than thin, with a lovely voice that sparkled with self-knowledge, and eyes that danced just before she made a point.

But did I think of her as romantic material? Naaaaah. My roommate at the time had a crush on her, and although in my later life I did him great wrongs on that front, in this case, I stayed clear.

We did share one date. We decided since it was just before Christmas and we had nothing to do, I would take her to a movie. And I did.

Can't remember the movie.

But I do remember that we wound up at a Denny's afterwards, for dessert and coffee. I think we were playing some kind of honesty game, which consisted of her asking pointed questions and demanding instant honesty from me, when another couple came up to our table.

"How long have you two been married?" They asked.
Mo and I just kind of stared at each other from across the table.
"We're not married." I said.
"Oh," said the woman.
"From the way you react to each other, perhaps you should consider it."
We laughed.
The couple left.
We stared at each other over the table.
"Well." I said.
"That's interesting." Mo proclaimed.
"Should we consider it?" said I.
"Well, I think we should at least make out a little before we come to a conclusion on that." she said.

And we did.
Just a little.
And we stayed friends without benefits, because the cost would have been too high.

Maureen had an auto accident two days before my birthday in 2001. Complications set in, and she didn't make it. I was informed by a mutual friend in Detroit, and I kept the obit for several years before my computer stole it from me. She had become a pretty successful actress/voice over talent in the city.

Her voice is still on the talent website.
I found it today.
And I listened.
Because I just needed to hear her again.
Because you don't get that kind of chance every day.


Another one, trapped in amber.
My Last Duchess, painted on the wall.

No comments: