Sunday, May 25, 2008

My Gold Star Hero




During this weekend, I would like to pay tribute to John Lawrence Dawber.

He was a Private, First Class in Company C, 1st Batallion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division that served in Korea.

He was killed in action on May 29, 1951 by a land mine.

He was awarded the Purple Heart, the Combat Action Ribbon, the Korean Service Medal, the United Nations Service Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, the Korean Presidential Unit Citation, and the Republic of Korea War Service Medal.

He was my Mother's eldest brother.
He was my uncle, and I was named for him, as was my younger brother Lawrence.

To all who have served, to all who presently serve, and to all those that wait at home, I thank you for your service.

2 comments:

Kizz said...

Thank you Uncle John.

Gertrude said...

I just learned about gold stars this weekend at the War Bar.
Thank you Uncle John.