Thursday, December 13, 2007

Random Thought Thursday

I love Thursdays. I don't have to be cohesive.

Until yesterday, I had never heard anybody actually use a Spoonerism by accident. One of my co-workers used the phrase, "looning rage-atic". The sad part was that while I laughed so hard I thought I was going to bring on a stroke, most people around me simply stared.

I often hear the phrase, "Rock and Roll Heaven", largely because of a song from way back. I'd like to think that there's a little part of the skies that contains those greats that have passed too young. But in Ike Turner's case, I'm wondering if there's a rock and roll hell, and who's jammin' down there.

I've been having an on-going conversation with some folks about food......memorable food. You know; the restaurants we've wandered into that make such an impression, that they become staples of our travels.....just a short list.

1. Tony's in Saginaw, Michigan.
If you seek a breakfast, a really BIG breakfast, look no further. Multi egg, stacks of toast,
piles of bacon, and endless coffee. Whenever I'm travelling in Michigan, I tend to stop.

2. The Library in Houghton, Michigan.
I'm not sure if it still stands today. The last I heard, there was a fire. But in it's day, it was
this really cool former library, with the paneled walls and antique sconces, and they served,
hands down, the best pizza and bread sticks I ever consumed.

3. Jocko's in Nipomo, California.
If you seek a steak as big as your head, head for Nipomo. They cook them over an open fire
pit out back, and meals are all-inclusive, including the dessert and coffee. And the waitresses
are amazingly friendly.

4. Ramsey's in Lexington, Kentucky.
An old student of mine introduced me to this little bar not far from the UK campus. They
serve something called a "hot brown" sandwich that's got just enough cheese on it to kill you,
and if you top it off with a slice of brownie pie ala mode, you'll die happy.

5. The International Sandwich Shop in Macomb, Illinois.
I think it's still there, just across the street from the campus, and I have yet to have an
Italian Meatball sandwich as large, or as good as there.


You'll notice that my tastes run to simple foods.
There are more places that live in my memory, but I've got to have something to write about on another Thursday, so I gave you the highlights.

Honorable mention must go to a place called David's Cookies in New York. When I first visited there in the early eighties, David's Cookies was a regular stop on my daily sojourns around the city. Cookies with chunks....it's a good thing.

Okay. Now, to face the world.

2 comments:

Kizz said...

Mmmmm, Tony's. I'm hungry.

Gertrude said...

More hungry! What a delicious list.
Ike? I know. I wonder what Tina did. No one said if she went to the funeral.
I bet she forgave him. She just seems that put together.