Saturday, December 8, 2007

I'm very fond of....

Baking.

Yes, I enjoy putting together a delectable smorgasbord of baked goods for the holidays. I think I get it from my mother, who always made the most delicious cookies as Christmas time....but I think it's also in a sort of silent competition with my sister-in-law, who's shortbread is the stuff that dreams are made of.

This year, I intend to create:

1. Kiss cookies; you know...the peanut butter cookie with the Hershey's Kiss on the top.

2. Butterball cookies. My mother's recipe, although I've never been able to match hers. Perhaps it's the whole memory thing; cookies taste better in the past.

3. Kahlua balls. My own recipe. Tasty, and safe for people like myself to eat.

4. Buckeyes. The peanut butter ball dipped in chocolate. I prefer dark chocolate.

I'm also going to indulge in some candy making; trying a peppermint chocolate bark this year. Last years attempts at a peppermint candy were....uh.....best forgotten.

Also, I'm thinking, if time permits, to try and match the recipe for the chocolate brownie pie that I once had at a little place in Lexington KY, called Missy's Pies (don't pass it by if your in the neighborhood). And a Shoo-Fly pie.

And some egg nog ice cream.

2 comments:

Kizz said...

Awww, buckeyes! Those are yummy (as are the rest of the things on the list). Any way we can persuade you to share the recipe?

Historiclemo said...

Buckeyes:

1 stick butter
2 cups peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2.5 cups powdered sugar

Blend until smooth.
Use double boiler to melt chocolate.

Take teaspoon amount of mixture, roll into a ball, and dip into melted chocolate, making sure you leave a little peanut butter showing, hence the name "Buckeye".

Let them cool. Otherwise, it's like eating a big ball of lava.