Tuesday, December 18, 2007

And the Silence becomes Deafening

There's a ring around the moon tonight;
And a chill in the air.
And a fire in the stars that hang so near....

There's a sound in the wind that blows
Thought the wild mountain halls;
Like the sound of a thousand crying souls.

Dan Fogelberg had a brief stay in the land of top forty music through the eighties, giving the world a couple of hits; the ones remembered would be LONGER, THE LEADER OF THE BAND, and THE POWER OF GOLD which he performed with a fellow named Tim Weisberg. But there were so many albums full of what I consider pretty good music, and sometimes painfully poignant lyrics. I listened to them throughout my college days, and then I fell for a girl who was gaga for him, and little by little, my collection grew. I was especially fond of the one "bluegrass" album he produced, entitled HIGH COUNTRY SNOWS, but my favorite was an album I heard for the first time when a girl gave me haircut in her dorm room, and it was playing on the stereo. The girl's name I have long forgotten, but the album lingers.

The most memorable lyric:

In the passage from the cradle to the grave,
We are born madly dancing;
Rushing headlong through the passage of the days,
We move on and on, without a backward glance.

Dan Fogelberg lost his battle with the big C on Sunday morning, and I'll miss that voice, but the music remains. For those of you interested, I would recommend the albums entitled, PHOENIX, THE INNOCENT AGE, and NETHERLANDS. But they're all good.

1 comment:

Kizz said...

I hadn't thought about Fogelberg in years and then, a couple of months ago I had my iPod on all shuffle and up came Longer. It was like stepping into a time machine and going back to somewhere I didn't know I'd missed.