Thursday, December 20, 2007

Another Thursday.

And more random with every passing week, month, year, decade, and century.

I was listening to the radio this morning, not something I do these days, with a plethora of cd's and mp3's at my command. But it was one of those days where a couple of songs came on the radio, literally one after the other, that took me to that other, happy place....

One toke over the line, sweet Jesus,
One toke over the line.
Sitting downtown in a railway station,
One toke over the line.....

A song that will ALWAYS bring a smile to my face.

And then,

A long December
And there's reason to believe
Maybe this year will be better than the last....

And I think back to a December at the close of the last century, dancing in a kitchen in Saginaw, Michigan....and still, as each December rolls by, I hope for each of those that survived, continued prosperity.

On to other things...

I understand that Lynn Spears' book has been postponed.
Give me a second to work up some shock.
Seems to me that Zoey 101 should have attended Sex Ed.

Other other things....

I've read, I think, two Shakespeare "biographies" this year, and I'm still looking for a good one. I realize that it's hard to write a biography about the guy, but Peter Ackroyd didn't even try very hard.

However, SHERLOCK HOLMES: THE UNAUTHORIZED BIOGRAPHY is a very interesting read.

Other books I'd recommend:

PONTOON by Garrison Keillor
FAREWELL, SUMMER by Ray Bradbury (but read DANDELION WINE first)
DOUBLE CROSS by James Patterson
A SORROW IN OUR HEART by Allan Eckert
BELUSHI by Judith Belushi Pisano
WILD FIRE by Nelson Demille
and any of the ODD THOMAS novels by Dean Koontz

For me, movies are called Books.

Other other other things....

I don't think people should blame Jessica Simpson for the Dallas Cowboys losing a game. She should be blamed for the continuing "dumbing down" of America, however. And, perhaps, the mediocrity of contemporary popular music.

And finally:

An Irish Prayer....

May those that love us, love us.
And for those who do not love us,
Let God turn their hearts.
And if He cannot turn their hearts,
Let Him turn their ankles;
So we can tell them by their limpin'.

Good night, and good luck.

3 comments:

Kizz said...

And prosperity to you, too, sir.

Gertrude said...

The Odd Thomas books have been on my long list for awhile now. As well as the Bradbury.
I think I might have that bio on Shakespeare, let me look and if so I will send it to you via Zelda.
Happy holidays!

Misti Ridiculous said...

Ahhhh...long December and there's reason to believe...
so be it.
me too.