Saturday, December 11, 2010

Rumination as the snow files.

Sorry, I've been distracted.

The weather has been particularly brutal the last couple of days; snow, wind chills sending the thermometer into areas where you really believe that Dante was right, and the final circle is frozen; and of course, my traditional Thursday into Friday, which translates into, 'waking up at 0600 on Thursday morning, and finally getting to sleep again on Friday around 1300.'

Life on the Plains is an endurance test, my friends.

In other news; the tree is up and decorated, and the process of collecting and wrapping the gifts has begun. I ordered the Historiclemo Family version of the Christmas Goose (Prime Rib Roast, which will be slow cooked from early morning to mid-afternoon, and served with every single accoutrement I can think of), and the recipes are brushed off, the baking ingredients for this year are collected in that small corner near the oven....I'm nearly good to go.

This year will be Hershey Kiss cookies; Buckeyes; Simple Spritz Cookies; my Mother's Butterball Cookies (I may actually shed some tears as I make these; my Mother being frequently on my mind these days); and some drop cookies I'm going to wing 'cuz I got a whole s**tload of Quaker Oats I have nothing to do with.

Oh, and candy......primarily Fudge.

The Christmas Day dessert will be a sheet cake of some kind, with wishes that I could transport one of those lovely cakes I see from time to time coming out of my friend's imaginative bakery. Perhaps I'll make some ice cream.

I'm sorry, I just went into a kind of dessert heaven.

I have a lot to do, but a reasonable time to do it in....

In other news:

The audition bore fruit. I've been cast as Screwtape, in a play called Screwtape. Seems like an interesting role, from what I've read of it.....and I have no idea what the other cast members are like; and I don't even have a rehearsal schedule yet. But it goes up at the end of January, if anybody cares.

At times like this, I remember this beautiful moment during the production of Sweeney Todd; holding his blade high, after so many years, he cries, "At last! My arm is whole again!"

Know how you feel, Sweeney, old boy.

3 comments:

Kizz said...

Congratulations on the role!

Do you have a good Buckeye recipe? I've wanted to make them since I lived in Columbus but I feel like the recipe from the postcard I bought in the CVS is not the recipe for success. Might you provide me with the recipe for success? Please?

Gertrude said...

Sometime in this lifetime... I will bake you a cake. I hope. Its on my bucket list. Along with meeting you in person...

VLG said...

1. Warm thoughts of your Mom; had another fountain coke today.

2. Congrats on the part.

Dean was cast as the lead in a short film I'm designing with a reasonably good script. I'll hook you up when it's complete, in about 6 months.