Friday, December 31, 2010

Heeere Comes Aaaaaanother One!

I am much better at looking back than looking forward. It's a character flaw which I don't actively embrace, but accept as one of those delightful character flaws that make the diamond which is me more valuable.

Heh.

My name is Historiclemo, and I'm an alcoholic. I've been on the wagon exactly eighteen years today. And I mean, New Year's Eve of 1992 was the last drink I took. And my friends, it was a DOOZY.

But I'm feeling much better now.......

Every year, I think back to the moments of the year that have brought me to this place; I see the faces of those that have passed through, and I smile at the thought that one day I'll see them all again, either here, or hopefully, there.

As many of you know, I lost my Mother in February. It was a long time coming, but the effect of "face first into a brick wall" is not lessened by the fact that you know it's coming. Every year, I baked the Butterball Cookies that were traditional for her holiday, and they were good; but would have been better, if.....

Similarly, we lost Pyramus a few weeks after that. He was a good cat, and even though we greeted the impish Rufus in the early summer.....Pyramus will always be missed.

I saw some old friends in October, and found a bit of my soul in the process; mended some fences and re-built some relationships. To Steve, Michelle, Becky, Todd; Thank you for your kindness, your memories, and the friendships that have lasted into a third decade.

I stepped onto a stage again last summer, for the first time since my sabbatical back in '03. I call it a Sabbatical, but it actually turned into a Mondical and a Tuesdical, as well. It was a good time, the weather was beautiful for July in the Northern State, and I impressed everybody with my charm and wit, as well as the fact that I could build a set after being awake for 43 hours.

I'm currently in rehearsal again. You can see me at the Dakota Stage in a production of SCREWTAPE, opening at the end of January. I hope I don't suck.

I have plans this year to do some traveling; I have my annual trip to the white beaches of Siesta Key FL, to visit my Father in his repose. We'll spend a week, maybe catch a Grapefruit League game in Sarasota...I understand the Orioles will be playing the Twins in early March. This year, and afternoon game, I think....the night game last year was exciting, but hypothermia-inducing.

I'll be going to KC in May to celebrate the wedding of one of my favorite former students; he's an excellent designer, a creative writer, and is the only student that ever threatened to actually kill me. I think some of them thought it, but Greg is the only one to actually state it. Out Loud. To me. In no uncertain terms. The least I can do is go see him get married. I'm also planning to walk about the Truman Library for a day...and maybe walk in the footsteps of Jesse James.

As of now, I have plans to fly to London in June, again at the behest of my family. Father wants to walk in the footsteps of the early Historiclemo's, and since I've never been to England (But I kinda like the Beatles), I would like to see some things; particularly the re-creation of the Globe, the Sherlock Holmes Museum, and Stonehenge. In fact, I would like to do a lot of touristy things.....the only thing that's going to be sad is the fact that I won't be able to fully enjoy the pub.

Sigh.

I suppose I could supplant the Guinness by attempting to find a chip shop without looking like a doofus American.

Anyway....to my constant, and semi-constant reader, I would like to thank you for attending to these blurtings, these occasional Barbaric Yawps. I hope to continue, in a more constant manner, in the year of 11.

May you see youth in the mirror, and smiles in the eyes of everyone you meet.

2 comments:

Kizz said...

Happy New Year! No matter what direction you're facing.

Misti Ridiculous said...

I like the Yawps.
your my favorite.