Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Mortality Flip-Flop.

I have a secret habit, which I indulge late at night.

Eyes up here, people.  Out of the gutter.

It's STORAGE WARS on A&E.

Normally, my idea of "Living Out Loud With Nothing To Say" would prevent me from watching such a thing, let alone enjoying it.  And I'll admit to a couple of twinges within my psyche as I watch these interesting people work their way through other people's stuff.

The chief twinge, of course, is that of mortality; that eventually, somebody is going to go through my stuff like a malevolent mole, looking for the pricey, and tossing the things that I have collected as trash, when in fact they are the collection of a misunderstood genius....and thereby, priceless.

My collection of Twain, in the original red covers; the first officially sanctioned complete collection, gathered from antique stores and online auctions, will wind up at a library sale.

My collection of robots will wind up in the trash, probably with an eye-roll and a passing thought as to the sanity and taste of the owner.

Theatre posters, programs....food for the fire.

The autographed photos might be worth a few bucks......maybe.

I've managed to depress myself.

I've changed my mind......

STORAGE WARS sucks.

2 comments:

Kizz said...

You have to just cross your fingers that whoever goes through it does something cool like donate the robots to a local day care or shelter.

Gertrude said...

You cannot pay people for sentimentality. I learned that in the book business... people would bring me old books their Grandma had covered in cat hair and want a billion dollars. However... don't give up on your collections... to you they are priceless. Part of your identity that is proof of life.