Thursday, March 29, 2012

The continuing story of the need for more light.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement."-Patricia Graynamore, Joe Versus The Volcano

I thought I understood that quote when I first heard it, all those years ago.  Come to find out, I had no idea that there was so much more to learn; so much more to be embarrassed by; so much farther we could slide down the hill as a society.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, with the full knowledge that my job entitles me to a bit more than the average knowledge of the ill-workings of the world, and the fact I am forced, almost Clockwork Orange-like, to watch dual news networks, battling for the hearts and minds of people who are either war-weary of the name calling, or the hopped up, ready-to-draw-blood types.

I swear to God, I shake my head sadly so often, people think I have Parkinson's Disease. 

Now, the last time I tried something like this, they were literally cheering in the streets.....I would like to think it was because I called for an International Day of Breath, so that we could all take a deep cleansing breath...but it was more because we went over to Pakistan and killed a guy.  But this time, I would like to propose something similar, and that's NOT a reason to go someplace and kill some other guy.

Can we please, PLEASE, stop justifying bad behavior by saying that the guy over THERE did it FIRST?

Could we PLEASE listen to the voice of our own conscience, and tell the video talking heads to go F*CK THEMSELVES?

Everybody...just go out today and do ONE THING....ONE FREAKIN' THING that doesn't involve your own self interest.

I've done mine.

Go thou.....and do likewise.

1 comment:

Misti Ridiculous said...

Whither thou goest, I shall go...