Monday, November 7, 2011

Wow. I think I can see Montana from here.

Harry Truman was once quoted as saying to the press, "Remember, boys...always do the right thing.  It'll gratify some people, and astonish the rest."

Harry never really said, specifically, what the 'right thing' is, or was, or can, or will be.  It's probably not a concrete thing.

For example....shaving bananas could be 'the right thing.'  but I'm doubting it.

I think, at this point in our continuing evolution as a society, we should concentrate on civil discourse.  Talking, AND listening.  Finding common ground.  And within the common ground, finding out 'the right thing.'

I do have some suggestions.  And if you're a regular reader, that should come as no surprise.

To start with, don't shave bananas.

But more importantly, let's all just stop watching anything put before us that rewards uncivilized behavior.  I'm not suggesting that every ending be a happy one, and I'm pretty sure that there will always be a fictional character that has bad behavior to emulate, but can we eliminate it from our 'reality?'  Can we please stop rewarding questionable behavior by giving people television programs because we confuse 'contemptable' with 'colorful?'

Can we possibly be happy with the direction of our own lives without indulging in schadenfreude?

And if we thank The Almighty for the Blessings, then we should also thank him/her/it for the Challenges?

F**k blame; let's find the 'right thing'.

Finally, if one more person comes to me and tells me it takes 16 muscles to smile and 22 to frown, I'm going to tell them it only takes 14 to ball up my fist and punch them in the crotch.

Yeah, I know.  I'm still looking for the right thing.

1 comment:

Gertrude said...

Harry Truman... he makes me blush like a school girl. He makes me happy. You do to Clemo when you write about right.
"Being too good is apt to be uninteresting."
"The reward of suffering is experience."