Sunday, May 8, 2011

When the sun is golden and the leaves are green.

As you well know, or can gather from the time and date stamps on some of these entries, I work in the dead of the night. And recently, we changed the schedule a little bit...the upside is that I only work four days a week; the downside is that each day becomes two hour longer.

Today is a grand experiment, so to speak. Lately, the days have been almost unbearable. And by days, I mean nights. And by unbearable, I mean suicide inducing. So, today....is the first of the ten hour shifts.

But that's not what I want to talk about.

I sleep during the daytime. I get to bed sometime around 1 PM, and I awaken sometime around 9 PM. And in my youth, I could sleep at a moments notice. I could drop off for twenty minutes, and I'd be good for awhile. In fact, I could work around the clock for several days if I got a 20 minute nap every so often. But in my age, I've found that sleeping in the daytime is hard.

Largely, because people feel it's their right to be loud in the daytime.
Selfish bastards.

Actually, a little of it might be that my adult-wired brain hasn't quite put down the idea that when the sun is up, you're supposed to be working.

Either way.....night's are hard when days are awake. I'm no longer that young guy.

But I did dream last night (afternoon). I was sitting under a tree, in a quiet park, with a stream running through it. It was a very temperate day, so I assume Spring or Fall.....and I was reading THE ONCE AND FUTURE KING.

Heaven.

No comments: