Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Return.

And back home again in the Northern State, where the weather isn't predictable, but I know where the basement is.

For those of you following along, I just recently returned from a sojourn to Kansas City, Missouri, where I saw a wedding, a plethora of old friends, and a couple of interesting museums. There were pictures taken, and souvenirs purchased.

One of my favorite former students, Greg, got married this weekend to the woman he's been with for three years. He claims that they got married on the 21st of May, because their first date was three years ago on the 22nd, and she didn't want to have to wait three years to get married.

Either Greg is a funny guy, or a huuuuge procrastinator.

The wedding was supposed to be outdoors, but this is what happened. There was supposed to be some kind of Rupture on the 21st, but nobody could quite figure out what time it was supposed to be; some said Noon, some said 6 PM...but nobody could tell from a close reading for clues in the bible whether it was Eastern time or Greenwich Mean Time. And then, suddenly, nothing happened.

So much for the Rupture.

It has also been a record for the river flooding (worst in something like 135 years), and tornadoes (worst in 60 years), and there were a couple hanging around that weekend.

So, they move the wedding indoors.

You'll never guess what happened.

Yup. Sunny and warm. All day.

But it was a lovely ceremony, well attended and I wish all the happiness in the world, and riches a-plenty both material and spiritual, to the happy couple.

I managed to sneak in a couple of visits; one to the Harry Truman Library and Museum in Independence, which is one you'll love to see. So many cool things to look at and listen to and watch. He was a fine man; made difficult decisions at the close of WWII; held the country together after that; spoke for the people between NY and LA like they mattered; and lived a purpose-filled life. One of those people on my "Fantasy Dinner Party" guest list.

I also attended the Steamboat Arabia Museum. I have always had an affinity for the old boats, ever since I heard the first stories of the Sultana (it's another story). This boat was sunk in the Missouri back before the Civil War, and was left under a farmer's field when the river changed channels. A bunch of amateur treasure hunters found it and dug it up, and the cargo was perfectly preserved. And it's all in this museum.

It was a lovely vacation, all told. Lots of old stories; I was quoted again and again, which is an unnerving experience when you, yourself, think that most of what you say is full of KakaDoodie nonsense. But I was treated to a litany of Historiclemo Quotes from the old days that made me laugh out loud. I was, apparently, a very clever fellow in my youth.

And now I'm back...mowing the jungle and weeding the beds and paying the bills and such.

England in 30 days!

No comments: