Monday, May 16, 2011

What Do You Watch After 2 AM?

There is a pretty sizable crap buffet when it comes to late night/early morning television.

There is only so much news one can watch; especially since, with rare exception, there is a recurring loop of news on the major news networks...unless something unusual happens, like an earthquake, a flood, or the accidental killing of a terrorist.

Tonight, the Oprah Network is running ROXANNE. One of my favorite movies. I love the Cyrano story, but when you add the Steve Martin secret ingredient, it's just a wonderful film.

I recently acquired the soundtrack of the film; apparently, it's rare, but it's lovely. And I paid far under the market price for it; thank you, EBay, and your sellers that don't really know what they have.

Which leads me to wondering what my list of favorite "After 2 AM Movies" would be, if I were to create one.....

In no particular order, and assuming that ROXANNE is one of them....

EDDIE AND THE CRUISERS.....I can't explain it, really. It's a movie about music; it's a mystery; it's a 'look back to look forward' film. I just enjoy seeing it after 2 AM.

GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK.....even before 2 AM, this is a great film. Great performances, historically accurate (taking into consideration the condensation of events for the sake of time and conflict), and a very nice blending of actors and kinescope.

RAISING ARIZONA.....Oh, my God, this is a funny film after several dozen viewings, over twenty years.....and it contains, by far, the greatest chase sequence EVER. With Yodeling.

THE BIG CHILL.....I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said; great cast, great soundtrack.....

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA.....if you get the director's cut, it's about 4.5 hours long, but you'll never feel the time passing. One of the best "gangster" films ever made, with DeNiro, James Woods, and a cast of thousands.

FORBIDDEN PLANET.....one of the classic sci-fi films of the 1950's; it's THE TEMPEST in space.

AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON....if you like KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE or THE GROOVE TUBE, then you must see this film. It's episodic, sketch comedy based upon, well...late night television. This movie got me through Graduate School.

THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES.....one of those campy horror films starring Vincent Price. It's far too difficult to describe, but it's great fun.

THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY.....I have re-considered my original assessment of this film; at first, I wasn't fond. Too many American accents, probably. But having seen it a couple of times, I have developed a new fondness for it.

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE.....the original, with Sinatra. The height of Cold War paranoia, well paced, well acted, edge-of-your-seat suspense. And Angela Lansbury.

and finally,

THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION.....a Sherlock Holmes tale that answers the question of how Holmes overcame his cocaine addiction...with the help of Sigmund Freud, or course! A wonderful story within a story...within a story. And Alan Arkin as Freud; and Olivier as Moriarty.

Oh, well....back to CNN.

Have a good morning, all!

1 comment:

Misti Ridiculous said...

Ive seen about half of the list. Yay for new things for me to watch!