Friday, May 6, 2011

What's in a name, exactly?

So...the various tribes of Apache are looking for an apology for the naming of a recent action by Navy Seals as "Operation Geronimo."

Remember when I was talking about perspective the other day? Here's another example...

When I saw that they had named the Operation "Geronimo", I was very impressed that they had named the operation after a character from Thomas Kyd's THE SPANISH TRAGEDY; the character of Jeronimo (sometimes spelled Heironimo and yes, Geronimo) is driven mad by the machinations of those around him, and eventually does unthinkable crimes (let's just say that some of the fun of TITUS ANDRONICUS was influenced by THE SPANISH TRAGEDY).

The name made perfect sense to me, given that perception.

I would also like to point out that Kyd named his character sometime between 1582 and 1592....some 237 years or so before the famed Apache was born.

It would be insensitive for me to go any further on this subject.

I'm just going to put on this parachute, and let myself out...

JERONIMO!

1 comment:

Kizz said...

The Spanish Tragedy is awesome, the bloody, terrifying kind of awesome.