Saturday, May 29, 2010

It's just like falling off a bicycle.

You know the old saying: Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

You start to feel especially bug-like after an twelve hour shift.

Pop Quiz: What's the last thing that goes through a bug's mind when he hits the windshield? Answer: his ass.

It was pretty funny when I was thirteen.

I'm writing now, just to stay awake, so let me tell you a little about the day.....

I'm a guy who likes to believe he's a "team player." I like to believe that when the chips are down, I'll step up and help to fix the problem. The problem is that sometimes, people take vacations and at the same time, other people get sick, and then, there's another who has regular days off...and pretty soon, you've got two guys conducting business in a little office on a 24/7 basis and I have to tell you..it SUCKS. Bowling balls through a garden hose.

I usually work late at night, as most of you well know. But today, I felt compelled to help out; I came into work a few hours early so to relieve the poor soul sitting at the desk...they were sitting there from early morning to early evening, and that's enough for any man, woman, or beast. So, I arranged my schedule and came in early.

When I say, "I arranged my schedule", I mean that I did something I had debated doing, and the more I thought about doing it, the less inclined I was to do it. I'm speaking of....an audition. They have this event that happens on the capitol grounds for a weekend every summer....and this year I thought I'd audition.

I haven't stepped onto a stage in seven years. It was hard to tell where the rust left off and the honest metal began. But, there were few to actually witness, I got the proper responses to the material...I did my little readings (and BOY, I had forgotten how hard it was to cold-read Shakespeare, especially after not having done ANY cold readings in seven years!) and then, it was over, and I grabbed a quick bite and off I went....

Where I have been sitting at this desk since mid-evening, and the sun will come up in another two hours, and I'll be here for a few more hours after that.

I guess they'll post a cast list next week.

It was......fun.

For about an hour of my day on a Friday in late May, in the Northern State that is showing signs of being overly warm....it was fun.

I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Kizz said...

That was a good idea you had there to do that.

Reg said...

I agree. And that comes from someone who is in a death struggle
with Neil Simon right now.