Friday, May 21, 2010

A horse is a horse, of cuss, of cuss.

My Father had a way with cussin'.

I'm not sure where he learned it, but I assume that he learned it from HIS Father; from what I remember of him, he was probably a first rate cusser, hisself.

Now, before I continue to my inevitable conclusion, let me tell you that I'm a firm believer in the difference between cussin' and being vulgar. You can be a proper cusser, and you can be a vulgar cusser. I believe that the former is the more creative of the two, and the latter is for shock value, rather than artistic cussin'.

No matter how many times you hear the word F***, for example (and I continue to self-censor, because my blog is linked to my Facebook page, and my nieces and nephews have access), you are ALWAYS shocked when you hear it come out of your Mother's mouth.

I know I was.
Still am.
It's a kind of weird shock; a cross between real revulsion and hilarity. You want to give credence to the word and the emotion behind it, but when you heard this little, proper, nearly nun-ish woman let loose with the F-Bomb...well, you can't help but smirk at the very least, and outright guffawing at the very worst.

But I digress. Again.

I knew a fellow in college, we'll call him Mike. We'll call him Mike, because his name was Mike, and it would be silly to call him Chuck; although on occasion I did call him Chucklehead, but that's different.

And you see....it's not cussin', but the term "Chucklehead" is a good one, and seldom used. Try it out and see what you think.

I'm also fond of "Meathead." In the proper context, it's very effective.

Digression again. Sorry. Sometimes, you gotta let it flow.

Okay. Mike was a master at inventing NEW cusswords. Okay, so what he would do would be to divide compound cuss words into their separate components and re-splice them with others, creating, in essence, a new word.

Again, because of nieces and nephews, I refrain from writing some of them out, but if you need examples, how about f***li**er, and f***ho*e. Interesting stuff, that.

Anyway....I do have my preferences, and as I said at the beginning, my Father was a first class cusser. And his favorite was horses**t. It seemed to roll off the tongue a little better than bulls**t. Some people like the semi-plosive B at the beginning of bulls**t, but there's something smooth and fluid about horses**t. And you can hit that H as hard as you want.

I bet you thought there was a point here.

Nope: it's all been horses**t.

1 comment:

Gertrude said...

The one that rhymes with rock and starts with c. I use that a lot. I am also a fan of bu** ding and A** monkey.
But a good old fashioned Colonel Potter "Horsefeathers" will make me laugh every time.
My Great Uncle and Auntie call me Sweet A** Darlin.
Cussin nicknames!