Monday, March 22, 2010

could somebody please take my brain? nobody else is using theirs, and I want to be a part of it.

Based upon what I've seen and heard, I am simultaneously proud and appalled to be an American. It's kind of like throwing up a really great meal.

The level of vituperation coming out of the debate in the houses of our government was, in my opinion, obscene. Do you remember all those clips on the morning shows a few years back of the Korean government minister taking off his shoe and assaulting another minister? They played it off as something humorous on our television screens, as if to say, "look at that barbaric display!"

And now, we have members of our House of Representatives, shouting each other down, no practical arguments presented, none heard. Apparently, one Congressman from a Southern State suggested that the caning of Senator Sumner in 1856 was something to aspire to in this day and age.....

And outside, members of the Tea Party (who were, apparently, considered at one point to be the hope of the nation, providing a strong third party to this countries woeful electorate system) were chanting racist and homophobic remarks to elected members of the government.

Oh, how far we've come.

Recently, I have been raising complaints about the organization for which I work. Recent appointments to the higher levels of the organization have been bestowed on former military commanders.

I respect the soldiers on the ground; I respect their dedication and their bravery, and there aren't enough accolades in the world to bestow upon them....

BUT.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed that the military tends to fight the current was just like they fought the last one. And that's been going on since the British lined up to fight the Colonial militia, and thought it bad form to shoot at them from behind rocks and trees.

Seriously...did we honestly believe that we'd just go in there and be greeted as liberators? That we'd have their hearts and minds? That our enemy would put on uniforms and be easily recognizable?

In short: To catch and subdue a clever, creative enemy, you must have clever creative people to oppose them.

I'm of the belief that the organization I work for has been systematically eliminating all sense of creativity out of the organization. And we will rue it.

But until we all wake up and realize that it is not 1955, and that we are the biggest problem to overcome, and that listening is just as easy and more productive than NOT listening.....and that five minutes on a news program is not enough time for logical debate on any topic, including Tiger Woods.....and that most people on the television are only worth ignoring anyway and I'm talking to YOU, Kardashians!

We are soooooooo screwed.

No comments: