Friday, January 1, 2010

Let us build upon this.

Well, here it is; another decade entered. May it serve us well.

Good GOD. I've entered a fifth decade. And the funny thing is, when I look out my window tomorrow (or, if I get my ass up and look out my window right now) it would look that same as it did just a few short hours ago when it was a different decade.

Time passing should have some sort of clarifying marker. A different color, perhaps.

The question has been asked on a few of the pages I am honored to read:

What do you want from the next year? I suppose that means....RESOLUTION!

In 2009, I quit smoking; I began to go to the gym regularly; I changed jobs; I said hello to a few friends, and goodbye to a few more; I gained a kitten; and lost a part of me that will probably not return in its former glory, but may return in some other incarnation...and will, like the second coming, be completely welcome but unrecognizable at the same time; I learned a few jokes; I laughed at the human comedy, and cried at the human tragedy; and I did my best to help people both known and unknown. But most of all, I've attempted to understand the things that people don't wish to even acknowledge.....

I want to finish something that I started; so that will be my resolution.
Finish what I started.

And I'm taking a quote from Margaret Mead with me as I walk face first into the plate glass window that is 2010:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Happy New Year, my friends. Let there be light.

No comments: